Social Communication Services
HELP YOUR CHILD SUCCEED WITH OUR
SOCIAL COMMUNICATION PROGRAM
Summer 2019: July 8-August 8
“I knew I had brain power, but now I have friendship power!”
Does your child struggle with…
- Using eye contact?
- Listening to or engaging with others?
- Interpreting facial expressions, body language, or other nonverbal social cues?
- Starting and maintaining a conversation?
- Taking turns during conversation or play?
- Compromising or cooperating with others?
- Coping with transitions or changes in routine?
- Overall social skills?
If you answered yes to one or more of the above for a child 5 to 18, our Social Communication Program can help! We believe the targeting the following areas are critical for students to develop successful social communication skills:
- Conversational Skills: Using language to take part in reciprocal and meaningful exchanges (engagement, topic maintenance, topic initiation, turn-taking, listening, etc.)
- Self-Regulation Skills: Managing one's own feelings and/or sensory, motor planning, and visual-spatial issues
- Cooperation Skills: Problem-solving, compromising, and understanding others' perspectives to establish and maintain relationships
- Generalization Skills: To communicate effectively across social situations and to adjust social behaviors to meet the listener's needs and environmental conditions
In order to improve these skills, we have taken a unique approach that combines both structured explicit teaching and student-centered activities, while incorporating gross motor and sensory experiences.
- Seven weeks of three weekly 90-minute therapy sessions, 20 in total
- There are 6-8 students in each class, grouped appropriately by age
- Two speech-language pathologists and one classroom aide instruct each class
- Each student receives individualized intervention, in addition to small-group work, which enables us to simulate the classroom setting
- The student's parent/guardian receives pre-program education and meets weekly with therapists
- Space is limited and is offered on a first-come, first-served basis
CONTACT US TO LEARN MORE!
WE OFFER SUMMER PROGRAM IN TWO CLINIC LOCATIONS
820 N. Orleans St., Suite 217 310-D South Main Street
Chicago, IL 60654 Lombard, IL 60148
The first step is to schedule a pragmatic language evaluation. A speech-language pathologist will conduct a comprehensive assessment of overall language and social skills to determine areas of strength and weakness and candidacy for the program. Evaluations typically last 90 minutes. You do not need a formal social communication disorder diagnosis to participate but an initial evaluation is required.
To schedule a language-literacy evaluation please email us or call 630-652-0200.
Program Payment Options:
We are a BCBS Preferred Provider and an Aetna Provider. We also accept Medicaid, but a waitlist may apply. Other insurance plans may provide coverage for speech-language therapy—our support team can help guide you. We accept private pay as well.
Past SCP Parents Have Said…
“He is happier and making and receiving phone calls from peers now. He is learning to regulate his behaviors too.”
“The program’s curriculum is one of the best I’ve seen…I always knew what was covered and had detailed suggestions as to how to reinforce the skills at home. Simply outstanding!”
“His confidence in his conversational skills has grown considerably. During a conversation, you can see the wheels turning as he thinks of the skills he has learned, and then applies them.”